STAFFORD, Conn. — Heading into the home stretch of the 2015 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour season, a trio of drivers are leading the championship charge.
Friday night’s Call Before You Dig 150 at Stafford Motor Speedway did little to seperate them, although 2013 champion Ryan Preece moved to the front of the line, courtesy of his third win of the season.
Preece’s No. 6 TS Haulers/East West Marine Chevrolet was out front for the final 69 laps en route to his third win of the season and 14th of his career. Five of Preece’s wins have come on Stafford’s half-mile, including a victory in June’s TSI Harley-Davidson 125
Challengers Doug Coby and Woody Pitkat followed close behind in second and third.
With nine races down and six remaining, Preece now leads Pitkat, who began the race with the points lead, by four tallies and defending champion Coby by 13. Todd Szegedy, who entered the night just two behind Coby, finished 16th and is now 30 points out of first.
Ted Christopher and Justin Bonsignore were fourth and fifth, respectively.
Patrick Emerling, who won his first career Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day, finished sixth. Timmy Solomito, Eric Goodale, Bobby Santos and rookie Chase Dowling rounded out the top 10.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will be back at it in just five days, with the Budweiser King of Beers 150 at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Call Before You Dig 150 Results
Friday, August 7, 2015
At Stafford Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (15) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 59.537 mph.
- (3) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (7) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (14) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (4) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
- (1) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
- (9) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 150.
- (16) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
- (2) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
- (11) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (13) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
- (18) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
- (21) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
- (17) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 149.
- (19) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 149.
- (12) Todd Szegedy, Ridgefield, Conn., Dodge, 149.
- (25) Dave Salzarulo, Enfield, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
- (23) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 148.
- (20) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 141.
- (6) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 137, ignition.
- (24) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 134, handling.
- (26) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 114, handling.
- (8) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y., Chevrolet, 83, accident.
- (22) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 69, accident.
- (5) Troy Talman, Oxford, Mass., Chevrolet, 51, accident.
- (10) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Chevrolet, 45, suspension.
Time of Race: 1 hour 15 minutes 35 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.500 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: P.Emerling (97.938 mph, 18.379 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 33 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 6 drivers.
Lap Leaders: P. Emerling 1-4; B. Santos 5-6; D. Coby 7-10; B. Santos 11-72; B. Bock 73-79; T. Christopher 80-81; R. Preece 82-150.
Standings: 1. R. Preece, 374; 2. W. Pitkat, 370; 3. D. Coby, 357; 4. T. Szegedy, 340; 5. E. Goodale, 314; 6. B. Santos, 313; 7. P. Emerling, 308; 8. T. Solomito, 305; 9. J. Bonsignore, 269; 10. R. Pennink, 265.